The upcoming games list has been updated to reflect that Another World HD, Bang² Busters, Battle Crust, Fade to Black, and The Escapee have been released.
In addition, the distributor of Saber Rider and the Star Sheriffs, RushOnGame, originally had the release date set as August 2018. As the release timer has been pushed forward 257 days, the date has been changed on the list to TBA.
I’ve also added a few games courtesy of the awesome French blog, Dreamcast-News: BeatTendency by Amelian, Encuentro No Casual by SegaSaturno, FX Unit Yuki: The Henshin Engine by Saru Studio, Midsummer by Duranik, Scourge by isotope Softworks, Shadow Gangs by ShadowTeam, Sol705 by Patoland and Survival Code by Titan Game Studios, Tanglewood by Big Evil Corporation.
On August 21st, Sega is releasing Shenmue I & II for Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and Windows, just in time for next year’s release of Ys Net’s Shenmue III.
This includes both the 1999 original and the 2001 sequel for $29.99 USD. Both Japanese and English voices will be available for both games, and there will be an option to use either the original tank controls or a modern control scheme.
If you wish to buy it on Windows, it’s now available to pre-order on Steam for 10% off.
The Dream On Contest returns for the 20th anniversary of the Dreamcast, as has Dream On. The contest runs from July 6, 2018 and ends on September 9, 2019, the twentieth anniversary of the release of the Dreamcast in the United States. Submissions can be submitted at the Dream On Contest itch.io jam page.
There will be prizes, but the specifics still need to be worked out. The contest has been started before this process to leave ample time for the creation of entries.
Teams are permitted. If you wish to use pre-created assets please use those with licenses that allow commercial use just in case a pressed game award is one of the prizes. This has been the case in the previous Dream On contests, but as prizes have not yet been worked out at this point, it isn’t guaranteed. It’s best to err on the side of caution, just in case.
To help alleviate some concerns raised in the previous Dream On contests, I (JenniBee, also known as MetaFox) am offering to create game assets (music, art, sound effects, voice work, etc.) for any entry that requests it. Send an e-mail to email@example.com if you’d like me to create something for your project. 🙂
Feel free to use any of my previously created assets in your entry as well.
is a program that recreates the engines that run various adventure and role-playing games, enabling them to play on many different systems, including the Sega Dreamcast.They are once again participating in the program that pays students to code for open-source projects during the northern hemisphere’s summer months, the Google Summer of Code
. This year there are three students working on ScummVM projects:
- Pink Panther: Passport to Peril and Pink Panther: Hokus Pokus Pink: Student: Andrii Prykhodko
- The Immortal.
Student: Joseph-Eugene Winzer
- Star Trek: 25th Anniversary and Star Trek: Judgment Rites.
Student: Matthew Stewart
You can view the progress of each project at ScummVM Planet.
has been a driving force for Dreamcast indie games for the past couple of years. They’re continuing that trend with a new slate of Dreamcast games shipping later this summer:
- Flashback 2: Fade to Black: This is the sequel to Flashback, which JoshProd released on Dreamcast last year.Fade to Black is presented in first-person as opposed to the third-person presentation of the original.It originally released in 1995 on DOS, takes place 50 years after Flashback. An alien race named the Morphs have taken over Earth, and Conrad Hart must once again save Earth from the alien menace.
- The Escapee: Originally known as onEscapee, this game is an action-adventure platformer along the lines of Another World or Flashback, which are both titles for which JoshProd is also the publisher on Dreamcast.When the first aliens landed on Earth, they ushered in new civilizations, however, able-bodied men disappeared around the same time. Now Daniel White has to traverse alien locations, fight alien creatures, and help the few other human escapees he discovered to survive.
- Battle Crust: This game is a vertical scrolling shooting game by Picorinne Soft.The game is described as a vertical shooter in the vein of games from the 80’s and 90’s arcade era. As with many games in this genre, there are both normal shots and the high-powered charge-shots. In addition, charge-shots can also be used for defense.
- Bang² Busters: Also known as Bang Bang Busters, this game was originally an unreleased platformer by Visco, until it became one of the first games published by JoshProd under their former name, Neo Conception International.The game is a platformer along the lines of Bubble Bobble or Snow Bros. Neo Conception International gained the rights to publish the game shortly after their formation in 2010. It was released for the Neo Geo AES in 2010, for the MVS in 2011, and for the Neo Geo CD in 2012. And now it will be coming to the Dreamcast.
- Another World HD: This game is the high definition version of Another World, the action-adventure platformer that the original designer, Eric Chahi allowed myself and GPF to release for free in 2005.Another World, known as Out of this World in North America and Outer World in Japan, is an influential cinematic platforming adventure game. JoshProd’s commercial version for the Dreamcast will be optimized for high definition televisions.
All five games are available to pre-order now from RushOnGame.
I managed to get cyberdogcastle.com back from the cybersquatters, so I’m working on bringing dreamon.cyberdogcastle.com back.
Thanks for your patience during this process.
This year is the tenth year since the traveling Dreamcast convention became known as the DreamCon. In celebration, this year the convention has returned after an eight-year hiatus.
The 2015 DreamCon will be taking place at the Con on the Cob on October 15th, October 16th, October 17th, and October 18, 2015 in Richfield, Ohio.
It will be scaled back a bit from previous years, as DreamCon space will be allocated through one single booth space. The convention will still represent a wide range of the Dreamcast scene, however, as I will be representing Cydoca Entertainment, Dreamcast-Scene, DC Evolution, and Indie Dreams.
DC Evolution has had a repository at Sourceforge since 2006, however, the project was never moved there until now. The file upload functionality of Sourceforge has returned, so now seemed like the perfect time to bring DC Evolution back after a three-year hiatus.
Unfortunately, it seems most of the releases have been lost to time, however, a handful have been located and are available once again from DC Evolution’s Sourceforge repository. If you have or know of the URL of any more DC Evolution releases that are still missing, please don’t hesitate to get in contact so they can be added back to the site.
The 2007 DreamCon convention will be held by Curt Grymala of DC Evolution at Magfest 5 on January 4th, January 5th, January 6th and January 7th in Vienna, Virginia.
This time DreamCon will be integrated right into the convention, with several tournaments. Saturday’s tournament was Cool Herders, with the prize being copies of some of DC Evolution’s images, complete with labels and cover art. Sunday’s tournament was Feet of Fury, with the prize being a Dreamcast with all of the hookups, a Playstation controller adapter (so a Playstation dance mat could be hooked up), and a copy of Feet of Fury.