is a program that recreates the engines that run various adventure and role-playing games, enabling them to play on many different systems, including the Sega Dreamcast.They are once again participating in the program that pays students to code for open-source projects during the northern hemisphere’s summer months, the Google Summer of Code
. This year there are three students working on ScummVM projects:
- Pink Panther: Passport to Peril and Pink Panther: Hokus Pokus Pink: Student: Andrii Prykhodko
- The Immortal.
Student: Joseph-Eugene Winzer
- Star Trek: 25th Anniversary and Star Trek: Judgment Rites.
Student: Matthew Stewart
You can view the progress of each project at ScummVM Planet.
has been a driving force for Dreamcast indie games for the past couple of years. They’re continuing that trend with a new slate of Dreamcast games shipping later this summer:
- Flashback 2: Fade to Black: This is the sequel to Flashback, which JoshProd released on Dreamcast last year.Fade to Black is presented in first-person as opposed to the third-person presentation of the original.It originally released in 1995 on DOS, takes place 50 years after Flashback. An alien race named the Morphs have taken over Earth, and Conrad Hart must once again save Earth from the alien menace.
- The Escapee: Originally known as onEscapee, this game is an action-adventure platformer along the lines of Another World or Flashback, which are both titles for which JoshProd is also the publisher on Dreamcast.When the first aliens landed on Earth, they ushered in new civilizations, however, able-bodied men disappeared around the same time. Now Daniel White has to traverse alien locations, fight alien creatures, and help the few other human escapees he discovered to survive.
- Battle Crust: This game is a vertical scrolling shooting game by Picorinne Soft.The game is described as a vertical shooter in the vein of games from the 80’s and 90’s arcade era. As with many games in this genre, there are both normal shots and the high-powered charge-shots. In addition, charge-shots can also be used for defense.
- Bang² Busters: Also known as Bang Bang Busters, this game was originally an unreleased platformer by Visco, until it became one of the first games published by JoshProd under their former name, Neo Conception International.The game is a platformer along the lines of Bubble Bobble or Snow Bros. Neo Conception International gained the rights to publish the game shortly after their formation in 2010. It was released for the Neo Geo AES in 2010, for the MVS in 2011, and for the Neo Geo CD in 2012. And now it will be coming to the Dreamcast.
- Another World HD: This game is the high definition version of Another World, the action-adventure platformer that the original designer, Eric Chahi allowed myself and GPF to release for free in 2005.Another World, known as Out of this World in North America and Outer World in Japan, is an influential cinematic platforming adventure game. JoshProd’s commercial version for the Dreamcast will be optimized for high definition televisions.
All five games are available to pre-order now from RushOnGame.
This year is the tenth year since the traveling Dreamcast convention became known as the DreamCon. In celebration, this year the convention has returned after an eight-year hiatus.
The 2015 DreamCon will be taking place at the Con on the Cob on October 15th, October 16th, October 17th, and October 18, 2015 in Richfield, Ohio.
It will be scaled back a bit from previous years, as DreamCon space will be allocated through one single booth space. The convention will still represent a wide range of the Dreamcast scene, however, as I will be representing Cydoca Entertainment, Dreamcast-Scene, DC Evolution, and Indie Dreams.
Seeing as it’s now 10PM GMT, I’m going to close the submissions for the contest. The entries are:
1) Dynamite Dreams by patbier and poche
2) Feuer Frei by qatmix/Project Firestorm
1) RacerDC by Imerion
2) RACE Neo Geo Pocket Color emulator port by GPF
The second location of this year’s show will be at the Midwest Gaming Classic 2006, held from June 3rd to June 4th, 2006, returning after a year in hiatus. Exhibiting at the event will be DCSteve and Tommy Watson, who will be representing BOR Revolution, a site dedicated to showcasing games using the engines from Senile Team.
I will also once again be exhibiting at the event, representing Screamcast, Cydoca Entertainment, and Dreamcast-Scene. Dan Loosen from The GOAT Store is going to announce new games for the Dreamcast at the show. In addition, new information will be revealed about GOAT Games and DCastle.
Several games featuring the Beats of Rage engine were showcased, and a new video for Age of the Beast was shown. In addition, videos were shown for Blocks2, and screenshots were shown for Grizzlies: Forest Prelude and BurgerDC will once again be playable at the show. The Dream On contest winners, Dynamite Dreams and Feuer Frei, will also be shown for the first time.
The ScummVM Wiki is a great source of information for the adventure game suite, ScummVM, and the games that are supported by it. The ScummVM team has graciously accepted my offer to help keep that wiki up to date.
I have been a big fan of ScummVM since it started back in 2002, and I’ve always wanted to help out. I have submitted a couple of patches, but I’m not skilled enough in programming to help out in any big way. I really love to research and write though, so helping with the wiki is right up my alley. I’ll also continue contributing small patches that add support for fan games, and other maintenance-style code.
Thanks for doing what you do, ScummVM Team, and I hope that I can help alleviate some of the work on the documentation front so that you can keep doing what you do best. 🙂
This year, it’s been decided that the Dream On convention will be held at multiple locations.
The first stop of DreamCon 2006 will be held at Magfest 4 on January 13th, January 14th, and January 15th in Charlottesville, Virginia. As with the last DreamCon, a new playable GOAT Store Publishing game will be presented, only this time it was the first time the public will get a glimpse at the game. A demo of GOAT Games will be presented for the first time at the show.
Curt Grymala, representing DC Evolution and DCHelp will return with the “burning station” setup from the last year and will have new compilations to hand out to the convention attendees.
I will represent The GOAT Store, Dreamcast-Scene, and Cydoca Entertainment. Playable versions of Feet of Fury, Maqiupai, Inhabitants, Cool Herders, and the unlicensed Korean Dream Para Para will be available.
This year Screamcast will be represented at this convention by quzar. Screamcast will have Grizzlies: Forest Prelude and BurgerDC on show.
The second annual Dream On contest ended 10 days ago, and the results are now in. Here are the winners:
1) Nibbler by JMD
2) Xump by kedo and GPF (and the Psilocybin Development Team)
1) DOSBoxDC by GPF and the DOSBox team
2) MSXCast by LTK and Marat Fayzullin
1) VMU CD by bucanero
2) Blobwars by quzar and Parallel Realities
Update: The special prize results are now in as well. JMD couldn’t decide whether to give the signed Maqiupai prize to ron or quzar, so he’s decided to increase the prize to two signed Maqiupai games and give them to both coders.
He stated that he’s given them to these coders due to their large contributions of ports submitted to the contest, and to ron in particular for the good he’s done for the Dreamcast scene and how well he represents the Spanish Dreamcast scene.
ScummVM 0.8.0 has been released. It comes with the following improvements:
- New improved launcher and in-game GUI
- Support for Inherit the Earth and Gobliiins
- Playstation Portable, Playstation 2 and EPOC/SymbianOS ports
- CGA and Hercules rendering modes for some games
- Preliminary support for NES and C64 LucasArts games
- Much improved support for Humongous Entertainment children games (Freddi Fish, Pajama Sam, Putt-Putt, Spy Fox, Fatty Bear, Backyard Sports and Buzzy)
In addition, the freeware CD edition of Revolution Software’s Beneath a Steel Sky has been updated to the last-known-released version, and it has been updated with the now-needed SKY.CPT file. You can download the latest version from ScummVM’s downloads page.