The Dream On Contest returns for the 20th anniversary of the Dreamcast, as has Dream On. The contest runs from July 6, 2018 and ends on September 9, 2019, the twentieth anniversary of the release of the Dreamcast in the United States. Submissions can be submitted at the Dream On Contest itch.io jam page.
There will be prizes, but the specifics still need to be worked out. The contest has been started before this process to leave ample time for the creation of entries.
Teams are permitted. If you wish to use pre-created assets please use those with licenses that allow commercial use just in case a pressed game award is one of the prizes. This has been the case in the previous Dream On contests, but as prizes have not yet been worked out at this point, it isn’t guaranteed. It’s best to err on the side of caution, just in case.
To help alleviate some concerns raised in the previous Dream On contests, I (JenniBee, also known as MetaFox) am offering to create game assets (music, art, sound effects, voice work, etc.) for any entry that requests it. Send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org if you’d like me to create something for your project. 🙂
Feel free to use any of my previously created assets in your entry as well.
has been a driving force for Dreamcast indie games for the past couple of years. They’re continuing that trend with a new slate of Dreamcast games shipping later this summer:
- Flashback 2: Fade to Black: This is the sequel to Flashback, which JoshProd released on Dreamcast last year.Fade to Black is presented in first-person as opposed to the third-person presentation of the original.It originally released in 1995 on DOS, takes place 50 years after Flashback. An alien race named the Morphs have taken over Earth, and Conrad Hart must once again save Earth from the alien menace.
- The Escapee: Originally known as onEscapee, this game is an action-adventure platformer along the lines of Another World or Flashback, which are both titles for which JoshProd is also the publisher on Dreamcast.When the first aliens landed on Earth, they ushered in new civilizations, however, able-bodied men disappeared around the same time. Now Daniel White has to traverse alien locations, fight alien creatures, and help the few other human escapees he discovered to survive.
- Battle Crust: This game is a vertical scrolling shooting game by Picorinne Soft.The game is described as a vertical shooter in the vein of games from the 80’s and 90’s arcade era. As with many games in this genre, there are both normal shots and the high-powered charge-shots. In addition, charge-shots can also be used for defense.
- Bang² Busters: Also known as Bang Bang Busters, this game was originally an unreleased platformer by Visco, until it became one of the first games published by JoshProd under their former name, Neo Conception International.The game is a platformer along the lines of Bubble Bobble or Snow Bros. Neo Conception International gained the rights to publish the game shortly after their formation in 2010. It was released for the Neo Geo AES in 2010, for the MVS in 2011, and for the Neo Geo CD in 2012. And now it will be coming to the Dreamcast.
- Another World HD: This game is the high definition version of Another World, the action-adventure platformer that the original designer, Eric Chahi allowed myself and GPF to release for free in 2005.Another World, known as Out of this World in North America and Outer World in Japan, is an influential cinematic platforming adventure game. JoshProd’s commercial version for the Dreamcast will be optimized for high definition televisions.
All five games are available to pre-order now from RushOnGame.
I managed to get cyberdogcastle.com back from the cybersquatters, so I’m working on bringing dreamon.cyberdogcastle.com back.
Thanks for your patience during this process.
This year is the tenth year since the traveling Dreamcast convention became known as the DreamCon. In celebration, this year the convention has returned after an eight-year hiatus.
The 2015 DreamCon will be taking place at the Con on the Cob on October 15th, October 16th, October 17th, and October 18, 2015 in Richfield, Ohio.
It will be scaled back a bit from previous years, as DreamCon space will be allocated through one single booth space. The convention will still represent a wide range of the Dreamcast scene, however, as I will be representing Cydoca Entertainment, Dreamcast-Scene, DC Evolution, and Indie Dreams.
DC Evolution has had a repository at Sourceforge since 2006, however, the project was never moved there until now. The file upload functionality of Sourceforge has returned, so now seemed like the perfect time to bring DC Evolution back after a three-year hiatus.
Unfortunately, it seems most of the releases have been lost to time, however, a handful have been located and are available once again from DC Evolution’s Sourceforge repository. If you have or know of the URL of any more DC Evolution releases that are still missing, please don’t hesitate to get in contact so they can be added back to the site.
The 2007 DreamCon convention will be held by Curt Grymala of DC Evolution at Magfest 5 on January 4th, January 5th, January 6th and January 7th in Vienna, Virginia.
This time DreamCon will be integrated right into the convention, with several tournaments. Saturday’s tournament was Cool Herders, with the prize being copies of some of DC Evolution’s images, complete with labels and cover art. Sunday’s tournament was Feet of Fury, with the prize being a Dreamcast with all of the hookups, a Playstation controller adapter (so a Playstation dance mat could be hooked up), and a copy of Feet of Fury.
I founded the Indie Dreams Wiki, a collaborative project to create an encyclopedia for everything that was ever independently released for the Sega Dreamcast.
This includes games by publishers such as The GOAT Store, as well as other releases such as bleemcast! and the Action Replay CDX. The Wiki format allows anyone to create or edit any article, so we can all work together to create a comprehensive database for fans of independent Dreamcast games.
If you’d like to contribute, check out the Indie Dreams Wiki FAQ to help you get started.
Seeing as it’s now 10PM GMT, I’m going to close the submissions for the contest. The entries are:
1) Dynamite Dreams by patbier and poche
2) Feuer Frei by qatmix/Project Firestorm
1) RacerDC by Imerion
2) RACE Neo Geo Pocket Color emulator port by GPF
The second location of this year’s show will be at the Midwest Gaming Classic 2006, held from June 3rd to June 4th, 2006, returning after a year in hiatus. Exhibiting at the event will be DCSteve and Tommy Watson, who will be representing BOR Revolution, a site dedicated to showcasing games using the engines from Senile Team.
I will also once again be exhibiting at the event, representing Screamcast, Cydoca Entertainment, and Dreamcast-Scene. Dan Loosen from The GOAT Store is going to announce new games for the Dreamcast at the show. In addition, new information will be revealed about GOAT Games and DCastle.
Several games featuring the Beats of Rage engine were showcased, and a new video for Age of the Beast was shown. In addition, videos were shown for Blocks2, and screenshots were shown for Grizzlies: Forest Prelude and BurgerDC will once again be playable at the show. The Dream On contest winners, Dynamite Dreams and Feuer Frei, will also be shown for the first time.